VIRTUAL OPEN EVENING IS LIVE! FOLLOW THIS LINK!
To apply to come to Kingsmead School in 2021 please click here.
In these unprecedented times it has been a step towards some form of normality with schools welcoming their students back last week. As we all adjust to the new normal, I hope that your child has settled back into school routine and that everything has gone well.
Year 6 is a very crucial time in every child’s life and a significant part of that is starting to think about your child’s future and choice of secondary school.
In any other year, we would be opening our doors for our annual Open Evening, in addition to visiting all of our partner primary schools. We would be talking to you about Kingsmead and our vision for the young people in our community. This year, due to the Covid pandemic, we are unable to run an Open Evening as normal and adhere to Covid secure/social distancing guidelines with over 800 adults and hundreds of students on school site simultaneously. We are, however, absolutely committed to being as open and welcoming as possible to all parents and Year 6 students. We understand this decision is one of the most important you can make for your child and we want to give you every opportunity to be able to make an informed choice.
At Kingsmead, we will be offering a broad range of events and materials as part of our Open Evening 2020 programme, including:
• *Personal tours of the school by appointment – this will run in family groups
• *Parent Q and A sessions at Kingsmead. This replaces our normal Primary partner visits. Please note to keep everyone safe this will now be a virtual session. This is due to the recent rule regarding gatherings of 6 or more people.
• Virtual Open Evening Presentation – a recorded video presentation by our Head of school Mrs Mincher and our Head of Key stage 3 Mr Truby as well as our Head boy/Girl and Year 7 students. The video will go live on our website and Facebook page week beginning Monday 21st September.
• Subject video blogs – video diary entries from every department, showcasing their subject and how it is delivered at Kingsmead. We will try to capture the magic of open evening during these short snap shots - this will also include welcome videos from our SEN department, Student Leadership team, Learning and Teaching team and Progress Teams
• Sample demonstration of the Kingsmead learning platform where all students can access the school’s schemes of learning, support and extension materials and well as the curriculum learning journeys providing support and academic challenge from wherever you are
• Interview the Staff! Get to know some of the key members of staff at Kingsmead for your child when Kingsmead students ask those all-important questions…
• Student Videos – current Kingsmead students talking about their school and why they are proud to be part of the Kingsmead family
• Parent advocates – meet some of our parents and hear what they think about Kingsmead school
• A day in the life of a new year 7 student- experience the day as our new year 7 students do to see if Kingsmead is the school for you.
• 3D Kingsmead – an interactive map of Kingsmead with 3D photographs of many aspects of the school
All videos will go live on our website and face book page week commencing Monday 28th September with additional videos and materials added throughout October.
* We very much appreciate that it is the personal touch of being able to answer parent questions that can really help in making the right choice for your child. At the same time, we want everyone to feel comfortable and safe. So, we will be offering the following parent events at Kingsmead school. They will all be by appointment only (spaces limited). Social distancing guidelines will be applied, including the wearing of facemasks inside school buildings and hand sanitising upon entrance and exit of the building. We are offering the following events:
Parent Question and Answer session (including a brief presentation by Mrs Mincher (Head of School), Mr Truby (Senior Leader KS3) and Mr Farrell (SENCO). This will be an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about Kingsmead in an informal setting. There are currently two sessions scheduled:
Thursday 24th September 2020 3.45pm
Tuesday 6th October 2020 3.45pm
If you would like to attend one of our Q and A sessions above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your place. There are a maximum of two spaces per household available. We would recommend booking early as places are limited due to social distancing. Please inform us of yours and your child’s name and their primary school upon booking.
Personal Tour of the school - We are also offering Personal tours of the school by a member of our Senior Leadership team. These will run daily from Monday 28th September to Friday 9th October at 2.15pm. This will give parents and students an opportunity to see the school in person. Year 11 will be conducting period 6 intervention sessions during this time, so you will be able to see some of our older students’ learning in action! If you would like a personal tour of the school on one of these days, please email email@example.com to reserve your place.
Choosing the right school for your child is a very important decision and we wish to give you every opportunity to be able to make the right decision for your child’s future.
If you would like any further information or have any individual queries, please don’t hesitate to contact Mr Truby firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, if you have a question and cannot find the answer you can ring school and ask to speak to me. We understand that these are difficult and strange times but are always here to help.
We look forward to meeting you.